The hardest part of changing my eating habits is the fear of missing out of certain foods. If I can infuse some of my Caribbean flavors into a meal, I am more likely to maintain these dietary lifestyle changes. So for dinner, I tried Jerk Tilapia and cauliflower mash. It was absolutely delicious!!!
- Tilapia fish (filet also can be used)
- 1 large cauliflower
- Black pepper
- Pepper flakes
- Butter (salted)
- Jerk seasoning(1 TBSP)
- Heavy cream/ Heavy whipping cream; 2-3 TBSP
- Spinach (frozen used)
- Start off by cleaning cauliflower and cutting into small pieces. Rinse cauliflower and set aside. Place pot with water and salt and bring to a boil. Place cauliflower into boiling water and allow to cook until tender but firm.
- In a food processor or blender add cooked cauliflower, 2-3 TBSP butter, minced garlic, pepper flakes, sprinkle of salt, 2TBSP heavy cream and black pepper.
3. Blend until smooth and all ingredients well incorporated
4. Next prepare fish for cooking. Take tilapia pieces and season with jerk season, salt and olive oil/ butter.
5. In a non-stick frying pain, place fish and fry until brown/cooked. Each side about 5 -7 mins depending on thickness of fish.
6. As a side I made spinach stew. This is different than sautéed spinach. Spinach stew has a base of tomato, onion , hot pepper and bell pepper puree together.
- NET CARBs– Fish (0g), cauliflower mash (5g per cup), Spinach (1 gram per 2 cups). Toal NET carbs =6grams
- For the mashed cauliflower, you can also add sour cream or cream cheese for creaminess and flavor.
- For side dishes try sautéed spinach or small salad, add half avocado for additional healthy fats