- 1- 1/2 cups marinara sauce divided
- Grapeseed oil or Olive oil
- fresh basil of dried basil
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheeses
- 1/3 cup Parmasean cheese
- purple onion
- salt and pepper
- Beyond Italian Sausage
- 1 large egg (+/-)
- Start by preparing your sausage. I allowed the beyond sausage to thaw, then removing the casing.
- Place pan on stovetop, 2 tablesppon of olive oil. Add chopped 1/2 purple onion and minced garlic to the pan.
- Allow this to sautee together for 2 mins.
- Add uncased beyond “meat” to the be cooked. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
Preparing the Zucchini
- Clean three large zuccini and pat dry. Cut zucchini lengthwise about about 1/8 inch-thickness strips. (This was difficult to get nicely ene thin slices, but very important for rolling)
- Place cut piece on paper towel/ cloth towell and sprinkle with salt. and let sit for 10-15 mins.
- Pat dry to zucchini slices
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees
- Add together 1 cup ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup grated parmasean, pepper flakes, minced garlic and dried/ fresh basil in a bowl.
- The original recipe called for 1 large egg, I did not use this in my recipe and it helfd together without it
Lets Assemble this deliciousness 😉
- Into the cheese mixture, add meat, mix well together
- Cover the bottom of casserole pan with pasta sauce/ marinara
- Place slice of zucchini, add chese and meat mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheeses.
- Roll from one end to the other.
- Placed rolled zucchini into pyrex/casserole dish
- Contiue to repeat this process until everything is used
- Cover the top of filled pan of rolled-ups with additional marinara sauce/pasta sauce
- Sprink additional 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top
- Place in the oven, uncovered.
Enjoy!! This is definitely one of my favorite alternatives to having pasta. Took it to work and shared it with colleagues and it was gone in 10 mins